Heart-Centered Humans for Animals' Rights and Protection
SECTION HEADS ARE ALSO LINKS TO PAGES
The amount of fossil fuel energy needed to produce animal protein is eight times that of plant protein.
76% of the world’s fish species are fully- or overly exploited (69%) or depleted (7%).
Every Minute, 7 million pounds of excrement are produced by farmed animals in the U.S.
“You can’t be an environmentalist if you are not eating a
Dr. Oppenlander spoking at the European Union Parliament
in December 2015. (14:22 min.) comfortablyunaware.com
Harvard Law School in 2007. Jeremy is a prolific author,
and global lecturer and columnist, business advisor, and university teacher. He has influenced many Fortune 500 companies, spoken at over 300 universities, and has been
an advisor to the European Union for decades. (10 min.)
by animal agriculture14
70% of previously forested land in the Amazon is occupied by pastures [for animal grazing].
Acres of rainforest cleared as of 2013:
26 million for palm oil; 136 million for animal agriculture [grazing and crops].
The sheer quantity of animals raised for human consumption threatens Earth's biodiversity.
Methane, extensively produced by livestock, is 25 times more destructive than carbon dioxide.
“Animal Agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction,
All That Poop!
ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.”
Dr. Patrick Brown on Nov. 3, 2010 at the
World Preservation Foundation.Brown, a professor of biochemistry at Stanford Univ., California, was elected to the United States
Documentary by the Nicolaas G. Pierson Foundation from Holland shows us the whole and bitter truth about the influence of the meat industry on our climate and on the devastation of our environment, water and air.
— James Cameron,
Winning Film Director
Jeremy Rifkin,president of the Foundation on Economic Trends, delivers a keynote address on the devastating role factory farms are playing in the climate change crisis at
by human activity, climate
change, global warming, 15
National Academy of Sciences in 2002, identifying him as one of the top 2000 scientists in the nation. (8:23 min)
Growing feed crops for livestock consumes
56% of water in the U.S.”
Land required to feed
a vegan for one year:
1/6th acre; a meat-eater is 2 1/2 times
1. Oppenlander, R. (2012). Biodiversity & Food Choice. http://www.comfortablyunaware.com/blog/biodiversity-and-food-choice-a-clarification
2. Livestock impacts on the environment. (2006). UN Food
and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. www.fao.org/Newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html
3. “Indonesia: palm oil expansion unaffected by forest moratorium.” USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. 2013. www.pecad.fas.usda.gov/highlights/2013/06/indonesia
4. Livestock impacts on the environment. (2006). Food
and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/Newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html
5. Overview of Greenhouse Gases. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html
6. Jacobson, M. F. (2006). More and Cleaner Water. In Six Arguments for a Greener Diet: How a More Plant-based Diet Could save Your Health and the Environment. Washington, DC: Center for Science in the Public Interest. www.cspinet.org/EatingGreen/pdf/arguments4.pdf
7. What’s the Problem? (2011). United States Environmental Protection Agency. www.epa.gov/region9/animalwaste/ problem.html
8. Our Food Our Future. Making a Difference With Every Bite: The Power of the Fork! (2006). Earthsave International. earthsave.org/pdf/ofof2006.pdf (pg. 9)
9. Our Food Our Future. (2006). Earthsave International. earthsave.org/pdf/ofof2006.pdf (pg. 11)
10. Overfishing: a threat to marine biodiversity. (2004). UN News Center. www.un.org/events/tenstories/06/story.asp?storyid=800
11. Ocean’s Fish Could Disappear by 2050. (2010, May 17). http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/oceans-fish-fishing-industry.htm
12. Cameron, J. (2012). The Vegan Solution. www.youtube.com/watchv=S9lU4wpyFVo
13. Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns. (2006, Nov. 29). http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?newsID=20772#.VxaLg5MrKXQ
14. Margulis. S. (2004). Causes of Deforestation of the Brazilian Amazon. World Bank Working Paper No. 22.
15. Coral Reefs. (2013, March 13). http://www.globalissues.org/article/173/coral-reefs#CoralReefsAreDyingAroundtheWorld
“Livestock is one of the most significant contributors to today’s serious environmental problems.”13
U. N. News Center, 2006
The Sustainability Secret
"A groundbreaking feature-length environmental documentary." Shown at the European Union Parliament in Dec. 2015. Also available on Netflix.